Harley W. Reno holds a B.S. and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Zoology (Specialty- sensory anatomy in fishes). He retired after 34 years of professorial duty as a biologist, environmental engineer, and systems engineer, and 25 years of Engineering and environmental duty in the oil, gas, and coal mining industries and nuclear waste management programs of the U.S. Department of Energy. He also spent 50 years guiding all over the United States, in Mexico, and Canada. He still floats and guides, although without remuneration, on rivers throughout the intermontane west.
The Orcky is a biologists take on a crayfish pattern designed to emphasize the elements most attractive to trout.
- Hook: Mustad 32756 or Eagle Claw 570 in sizes 2,4,6, or 8
- Thread: Danville’s size A thread in Black, Brown, tan, or Green
- Eyes: Dazl-eyes in black in size 7/32, 3/16, or 5/32
- Antennae: Matched pair of 6 inch long saddle hackles
- Pincers: Two 3 inch long brown saddle hackles
- Tail: three saddle feathers from partridge
- Hackle: Grizzly hackle (Any combo of Green, Grey, Brown); Krystal Flash (in ultraviolet, pearl, gold, copper, or brass)