Boots Allen is a third generation guide and outfitter from Western Wyoming. Over the last 18 years, he has had the opportunity to fish and guide at destinations around the world, including Argentina, Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, British Columbia, and the streams of the Rocky Mountain West. He has pened numerous articles for fly fishing magazines such as Fly Tyer, The Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, The Drake, and Sports Afield. Boots has used his creations at the fly tying vise for a variety of game fish including taimen, pike, lenok, sea-run brown trout, steelhead, pacific salmon, snook, roosterfish, redfish, and almost every imaginable species of trout.
- Hook: standard dry fly hook, sizes 4 to 10.
- Thread: 3/0 in gray, yellow, green, brown, cream, or orange.
- Tail: golden pheasant neck feathers or Amherst pheasant neck feathers.
- Body: 1 mm two or single color foam. Dubbing can be used as an alternative. A variety of color can be used.
- Hackle: brown or red.
- Wing: Siberian brown bear hair or grizzly bear hair.
- Head: 2 mm foam – brown, tan, or gray.
- Mandible: Ostrich plumes or peacock herl.
- Legs: brown rubber, Flexi-floss, Silli Legs, or Spanflex.
- Indicator: 2 mm foam.
Other Patterns by Boots Allen: Boots Allen