My dad, Harold Tollett, got me started fly fishing in 1962. I started working for Walton Powell, of Powell Rod fame, in 1968 tying flies, and also helped build fiberglass rods and rod components. In 1977, I moved to Dillon Montana, and began working for Al Troth guiding on the Beaverhead and Big Hole Rivers. In 1980 my wife, Teresa, and I opened Frontier Anglers.
Over theyears I have been fortunate to travel and fish some of the world’s finest fly fishing waters. From Alaska, Belize, New Zealand, Chile, Bahamas, Argentina, and Canada, to most all of the western states. I have had the true pleasure of guiding some of our world leaders such as President Carter, as well as other famous people.
The Smidget is an amazingly effective fly for large trout. Big Trout find the Smidget attractive no matter how it is fished – dry, in the film, or as a nymph. The color of McFlyfoam you choose depends on local hatches. But all colors work, especially pink.
- Hook: TMC 2488, fished wet. Daiichi 1640 for fishing it dry
- Thread: 8/0 Uni Thread, in lt Cahill, Olive, Rust, or Brown
- Tail: Lt Brown, Olive, Red, or Grey Antron body yarn
- Body: 8/0 Uni Thread, in lt Cahill, Olive, Rust, or Brown
- Overbody: McFlyfoam in Lt Yellow, Flats Crab Tan, McCheese, Grey, January, Grey/Olive, or any color you’d like to try
- Hackle: Grizzly, Lt Dun, Dark Dun, Barred Ginger
- Head: A small tuff of McFlyfoam
Want to watch in 4K with NO ADS? Check out our UHD Subscription.