Rick is back with another of his favorite fly tying patterns. This one is personal. The pattern was developed by Rick’s friend and famous angler Dave Whitlock. This is a classic fly pattern for trout and has a lot of potential for those cold water species. Take a look and tie a few up.
Rick has now tied quite a few trout fly tying videos for us. Take a look at the list below or select from the dropdown list to the right.
- Hook: TMC 3769 #6-18 or any 1x or 2x long nymph-weftly hook.
- Thread: 8/0 Rusty Brown
- Tail: hair from a red fox squirrels back
- Rib: gold Lagartun med. oval tinsel
- Abdomen: hair from the belly of a red fox squirrel mixed w/ bronze antron fibers.
- Thorax: body hair from a red fox squirrel /grey bridle-barred mixed with the under fur.
- Hackle: Hungarian Partridge from the back of the bird.
- Head: 8/0 Rusty Brown uni-thread.
Note: Wapsi fly produces Dave Whitlock’s SLF blend dubbing. Specifically #1 & #2
More Rick Wollum Fly tying videos
- Dave Whitlock’s Red Fox Squirrel Nymph – Rick Wollum
- Rick’s Rhycophilia – Rick Wollum
- Krystalflash Chironomid – Rick Wollum
- Wollum Worm – Rick Wollum
- Baetis Soft Hackle – Rick Wollum
- Green Drake Soft Hackle – Rick Wollum
- X-Caddis / Iris Caddis – Rick Wollum Fly Pattern
- The Dead Chicken / Grey Hackle Yellow – Rick Wollum
Want to watch in 4K with NO ADS? Check out our UHD Subscription.